The term “schema” is used to describe the reader’s background about a specific topic or idea. It is how we organise or group ideas in our mind. It also helps us organise and associate ideas in our brain, leading to a better understanding of a particular text or message.
On the other hand, the schema is also used in websites as it allows a search engine to provide an informative result to the users. A particular word or set of phrases is added to your SERP entry to boost description and ranking. Schema text is also known as schema markup or rich snippets.
How to implement schema text using Google Structured Data Markup Helper?
Google Structured Data Markup Helper marks some elements of data on your website or webpage so that the search engine can interpret or understand the contents. Once Google better understands your contents, your website will be presented better on SERP.
Here’s a step by step guide on how to use Google Structured Data Markup Helper to implement schema texts on your website:
- Go to Google Structured Data Markup Helper – Choose the type of data that you want to markup for. It can be articles, products, movies, TV shows, events and more.
- Paste the URL or HTML. Paste in the URL or the article or product and click “Start Tagging.” After tagging, two columns will appear on your screen. The left pane is your website and data items on the right.
- Select the data that you want to markup. Highlight parts of the content that you want to mark up, such as title and author. The highlighted sections will be added to the elements on the right pane. Continue with the process until you have added all of the items needed on the right pane – you may not be able to add everything, but that is okay.
- Create HTML After adding all the elements to the right pane, click “Create HTML.” The result will show some relevant microdata. You can now add the schema texts to their appropriate spot.
- Click “Finish” Steps will be presented after you click “Finish”. It is essential to follow the suggested steps for this strategy to work. Go to Structured Data Testing Tool, It will show you how the article will look like in SERPS.
Once you have implemented schema on your website, its description will be enhanced and the website ranks better in the SERPS. In the age of Rankbrain and Hummingbird, implementing schema is crucial as it determines the quality of a search result. Moreover, no evidence can prove the direct effect of schema in organic search. However, your website can be presented better in SERP with the use of rich snippet or schema text which can also increase click-through-rates. So, schema texts are worth implementing!
Schemas are used in business, organisation, people, reviews, videos, recipes and more. Before marking up, it is important to determine the item type of data on your website. In that way, you can focus on which elements should be marked up.
If you need help in implementing schema text on your website, reach out to Perth Digital Edge- SEO consultants Perth!